Tuesday, March 1, 2011

ultra endurance

Most people haven't heard of Dean Karnazes. Ultra-running, the crazy uncle of marathoning and running clubs, is such a niche sport nobody can find it without looking. If you have time, google his name and take a look at what he's done. I won't recap it here, but suffice it to say the man's resume involves a lot of 100 mile runs. Personally, I'm not a runner. My sport, wrestling, involves maximum effort for six minutes. I've never run longer than an hour, and even that hurt like hell. The whole idea of staying on my feet. moving, for 24 hours is utterly incomprehensible. That's why I find ultra-running so fascinating. The human body is so much more capable than anyone realizes. Karnazes, one of the kings of his tiny sport, is preparing to run across the country in 75 days. That's 40-50 miles each day. Maybe seven hours, with nothing but music pulsing from earbuds and the road creeping up in front. The physical challenge is insane. The mental fatigue must be worse. It makes me wonder what else we're capable of. Everything's impossible until someone does it.

No comments:

Post a Comment