Tuesday, January 25, 2011

sports excellence

I love sports, always have and always will. I started wrestling at age nine, and continued ever since, with about a year break when I shredded my shoulder a while back. Yesterday, one of the youngest kids on the wrestling team i volunteer coach, which is a mix of middle-school and high-school, was almost in tears because of the allegations that lance armstrong used steroids. The father of the boy is a professional cyclist, and armstrong is a family acquaintance. I've heard the argument that sports serve society by providing examples of excellence. To a certain extent, this is true. We all know about Armstrong surviving cancer, and about Bernard Hopkins leaving a Philadelphia jail to become one of the best boxers ever. What we need to remember is that these people do what they do for money.
      I'm not saying that athletes are bad people. I just think it's strange that they become so widely celebrated for being good at their jobs. By all means, draw inspiration from sports, but let's save our reverence for the people who truly deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment